Funding arrangements accepted
Porthgwara accepts both Private and State funded resident’s dependent upon an assessment of care needs. Provided Porthgwara Nursing Home is able to meet those needs the required fee will be agreed. A top up fee may be required if the state funding offered is less than our required fees.
Our latest CQC Inspection
Porthgwara Nursing Home has been rated as OUTSTANDING by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) Please see our inspection report.
Porthgwara is a Registered Nursing Home to provide Nursing Care to our residents
Here are some examples of the Nursing Care we provide: –
- Full assistance to those with physical disabilities
- End of Life Care
- Short-term/ respite care (if rooms are available)
- Catheter/ Stoma care
- Peg feeding
- Care for those with neurological conditions
- Care for those with epilepsy
- Care for those with COPD or other respiratory conditions
- Cancer Care
- Pressure sore improvement and prevention
- Care for those with sensory deprivation
- Care for those with swallowing difficulties or requiring assistance during meals
- Continence care
- Further monitoring and referrals for low food/ fluid intake
This list is not exhaustive, and care needs can be discussed with the Registered Manager.
Porthgwara Nursing Home Accommodation
Porthgwara can accommodate up to 20 residents and our accommodation is arranged over three floors. We have a variety of rooms of differing sizes.
- All rooms are single occupancy (some rooms could accommodate double occupancy if desired)
- Most rooms come with an en-suite
Facilities and Services our Residents can expect: –
- All personal and social care needs will be met by our trained staff
- We have two lounges, and well-kept secure garden
- We have daily activities and visiting entertainers
- Home-cooked food is provided, and a choice of meals are available. Drinks and Snacks are available at any time.
- We can cater for special dietary needs.
Porthgwara Nursing Home Staffing Arrangements
Our Registered Manager is at the home Monday to Friday and ensures the home is staffed at a level to meet all resident’s needs. There is a Nurse on duty 24 hours a day and Health Care Assistance based on the needs and number of residents currently at the home. A typical care staffing rota would be: – Morning 5 x staff, Afternoon 4 x staff and Night-time 2 x staff. There are two members of staff on duty daily in both the kitchen and the Domestic Maintenance teams.
At nights we have two waking members of staff one Nurse and one Health Care Assistant between 8pm and 8am and a senior member of staff (usually the Registered Manager) is on call for support or advice.
Most of our Health Care Assistants are either trained to Level 2 or 3 in Health and Social Care or working towards their qualifications.
Residents have access to a 24-hour nurse call system which also records the number of calls and time taken to answer calls so the effectiveness of our staff can be monitored.
Also in addition to our care staff, we have a dedicated Recreational Activities Organiser who ensures that all our residents have meaningful interactions and get to take part in activities that interest them. Activities provision is developed by our Recreational Activities Organiser by discussion with each resident or where appropriate, their representative.
Initial Enquiry and Assessment
Upon enquiry, we will gather information about the prospective resident to make sure we can meet their needs. We will then invite the resident and/or family member to view the home. You will be issued with a copy of our Terms and Conditions at this point and we will check that you have read this Key Information and the Important Additional Information.
If admission to Porthgwara Nursing Home is appropriate and desired, a further in-depth assessment will take place, followed by an assessment when the new resident arrives at Porthgwara to begin their stay.
Terms & Conditions
The agreement commences on the date the resident is admitted to the Home and shall continue initially for 28 days as a trial. This will enable the Registered Manager to assess the needs of the Resident and the suitability of the Residents’ placement within the Home and for the Resident to ensure that he/she will be happy with the Home. Within this period either party may terminate the Agreement on 7 days’ notice. After the expiry of the trial period, the Agreement may be terminated by the Resident/or the home on a 28 days’ notice period.
A copy of our Terms and conditions are available as part of our information pack, and also can be requested separately from the Registered Manager
Funding and fee reviews
Our Fees are calculated for the cost of care until the next annual review which takes effect in April each year.
Fees inevitably rise year on year. You will be given at least 28 days’ notice of our annual room rate increase, which allows you time to give notice if you should wish to. There will only be one annual fee increase except in exceptional circumstances.
We may also need to increase fees if the needs of the resident increase, these would be assessed, and you would be advised of any change in care needs. In these instances, you will be given 7 days’ notice.
Private funding might also change if a resident loses social or NHS funding. The room fee will still need to be met by the resident or their guarantor.
Fees & Charges
Fees at Porthgwara Nursing Home start from £1160 to £1500 per week depending on the needs of the resident, the size and aspect of the room and whether it has an ensuite. For example a small single is £1160 and a typical single ensuite room would be £1200.
Services which are included: –
- Personal and nursing care,
- Furnished accommodation in a room for your exclusive use.
- A choice of meals, plus snacks and non-alcoholic drinks as required for normal diets
- Full use of communal areas in the home
- Laundry service excluding dry cleaning
- Central heating (in season), hot water and lighting
- Supply of bedlinen and towels
- Maintenance of the grounds of the home
- Maintenance and repair (as necessary) of the home, its furnishing and furniture
- Insurance of the home and its contents
- Intercommunication system (Nurse Call) and all necessary fire alarms, extinguishers and emergency lighting
- Internet access in the communal areas in line with our fair usage policy.
- Certain activities and/or events and the use of recreational facilities ( you may be asked to make a financial contribution to the cost of some excursions; however we will notify you of any required charge in advance of any such excursion)
Additional services and extra items
The following additional services and extra items are not included in your weekly fee and will need to be paid for separately: –
- Personal items such as toiletries, clothing, hairdressing, newspapers/magazines, dry cleaning, luxury items, stationery and postage costs,
- Personal medical requirements, for example physiotherapy, chiropody, audiology, dental, and optical care (where not provided by the NHS.).
- The cost of Specialist medical equipment not generally available in the Home (where not provided by NHS)
- Private car hire or taxi service or transport to outside services e.g. hospital appointment
- Accompanied travel for hospital and GP appointments, etc. can be arranged and will be charged at £16 per hour for one member of staff to accompany, you and £30 per hour if two members of staff are required to accompany and assist you.
- Participation in some external recreational trips or social activities.
- Provision of personal: – telephone or mobile telephone, smart TV, DVD player, satellite TV, fibre TV, additional TV services such as Netflix or Amazon prime, and satellite television services such as Sky. or internet/broadband/fibre(including all associated costs including installation, line/usage charges and monthly subscriptions)
- In exceptional circumstances the home may be required to deal with the registration process in the event of death, all expenses associated with this will be chargeable to the estate.
- Where a person meets the eligibility criteria, the NHS continence service assess and provide a maximum of 4 pads per 24-hour period. Any additional pads may be charged at a cost (where not provided by the NHS). Where a person does not meet the NHS eligibility criteria the cost of all continence products is also to be met by the Resident or their Relative/Representative.
- The cost of any other items of a personal nature not included in the weekly fee
Our Fees are invoiced in advance for the month on the first day of each month. During an initial 28-day trial period our invoice will be issued on the first day for payment in advance for the 28-day period.